Reality. The Oxford Dictionary defines reality as “The state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them. A thing that is actually experienced or seen…” Reality is a word that’s getting a lot of traction these days, most recently in the area of what constitutes news. Discussions over news literacy – what is real and what is fake and how to determine the difference are cropping up everywhere. How-To guides on developing critical thinking skills to evaluate news in the digital era are commonplace in the education arena and are making their way into the mainstream. Recently established programs, such as The Center for News Literacy at Stony Brook University School of Journalism, focus on the blurred lines between what is considered legitimate journalism, and entertainment, self-promotion, and unmediated information found on the Internet.
Which brings us to this month’s Agile Attractor, Reality Wins.
To us, reality isn’t an afterthought; it’s an ingrained habit of supportive thought. Like our name 3Back implies, we consciously take three steps back from a known center to observe, adjust and act. As a Well-Formed Team™, we give great value to observations as our driving force in our organization – in how we train, coach, consult and write. Our work is foundationally grounded in observational knowledge. It is anchored in reality.
To find out more about our Agile Attractors, read Bias for Action, Laugh Often and Smile, Avoid and Eliminate Confusion, KISS, No Head Works Alone, Quality Products at a Sustainable Pace, Pride in Craftsmanship, Everyone Engaged, Clean Up, and One Bite At A Time.
SAVE THE DATE
Chicago Scrum 3.0 Conference June 2017
As Always, Stay Agile.
Notes and Sources
- “Reality.” OxfordDictionary.com. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- Schulten, Katherine. “Skills and Strategies | Fake News vs. Real News: Determining the Reliability of Sources.” The New York Times. October 02, 2015. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- Adams, Peter. “News Literacy: Critical-Thinking Skills for the 21st Century.” Edutopia. January 31, 2014. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- “A Weekly Lesson in News Literacy.” Center for News Literacy. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- The 3Back Team. “Distinctly 3Back Adages: Our Agile Attractors.” 3Back Scrum & Agile Blog. January 07, 2016. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- “Understanding The Well-Formed Team™ White Paper” 3Back. Accessed February 16, 2017.